The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Young Scholars Program is a very good bursary opportunity for students who want to study in the United States of America.
Funded by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, this is a need-based scholarship program designed to encourage best performing students who work hard at their academic responsibilities.
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Young Scholars Program seeks to reward highly promising students whose parents have financial needs.
Recipients of this scholarship receive comprehensive educational advising and financial support from the 8th Grade through high school to pursue their unique academic and talent goals.
Students apply for the program in their 7th grade, begin the program in the 8th grade, and then continue until graduation from high school.
This scholarship is for students in the USA.
Up to 60 students are selected each year for the Young Scholars program.
In this article, we shall look at the details of the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship Young Scholars Program 2022, the eligibility and criteria and also coverage of the scholarship program.
Young Scholars Program Summary
|Level of Study:||8th Grade – High School|
|Country of Study:||USA|
|Deadline:||March 14th, 2022|
The awarded amount for the Young Scholars Program by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship is $8,000. This is meant to cover educational expenses including tuition, living expenses, books and required fees.
The awards amount, however, vary by individual as they most base it on the cost of tuition as we as other grants or scholarships the recipient may receive.
If you want to apply for this scholarship, then, kindly pay close attention to the following requirements considered for eligibility:
- Grade Level: The interested student must currently be in 7th grade.
- Grades: The student must mostly have grade As with no Cs in 6th and 7th grade.
- Testing: Official score report from state standardized testing, SAT or ACT score reports (if applicable).
- Income: Because this scholarship is need-based, families with less than $95,000 income annually will be considered. Last year’s cohort of new young scholars had a median family income of approximately $39,000.
- Location: Reside in the U.S. or a U.S. territory and will attend high school in the US.
Please NOTE: The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexuality or disabilities. Citizenship or permanent residency for the applicant or parents/guardians is not required. Foundation staff, board members, and their families are not eligible to apply.
The application for the Young Scholars Program is mainly done online. There are some components of the application process that must be submitted by other individuals than the applicant.
All the required forms must be completed and submitted for an application to be eligible for review.
The Application requirements for the Jack Kent Cooke Young Scholars Program are:
- Application form
- Recommendation letter
- Financial information forms
Let’s now look at other documents in detail.
- Student Application: this includes the profile of the student, grades from 6th and 7th grade, honors and awards, activities, and written short answers and essays.
- Parent Form: This includes custodial information, information about your household, and financial information that includes a copy of recent tax returns (if applicable).
- English/Language Arts Teacher Recommendation: This must be completed by the student’s 6th or 7th grade level teacher in this subject.
- Math Teacher Recommendation: This should be completed by the student’s 6th or 7th grade level teach in this subject.
- Personal Recommendation: This should be completed by an adult who knows the student personally. Note: It should not be a parent or relative. The perfect person for this could be a mentor, coach, instructor, past and present teacher, scout leader, pastor, or camp counsellor.
If you are selected as a semifinalist based on your application, you will be invited to submit other needed additional information.
Note: Every required application information must be submitted before the deadline. Deadline extensions will not be granted. Applicants selected as semifinalists may be invited to submit additional information after the application closes.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Young Scholars Program Timeline & Notification
|January to March||The application is open and all materials must be submitted.|
|April to August||The applications are reviewed and semifinalists are notified.|
|September||Finalists will receive notification of acceptance.|
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation reviews all submitted applications in-staff and with the help of a panel of admissions experts.
Scholarship Applications are reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Academic Ability: Strong academic records, honours and awards, strong teacher recommendations.
- Unmet Needs: financial ability, consideration of environmental context.
- Persistence: Determination and perseverance in the face of challenges.
- Leadership: Ability to positively influence others, in and/or outside of school.
- Service to others: purposeful and meaningful commitment to others through service.
For more information, visit the official website:
For any questions related to the Young Scholars Program, please shoot an email to [email protected]
You can also check out this merited scholarship at Boston University.