Yale Young African Scholars Programme 2022 which is a scholarship opportunity for High School students from Africa is a good opportunity to those who want to pursue their education in the United States of America.
To those who do not know, the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a programme meant for African secondary school students who are planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent of Africa.
This is an intensive academic and enrichment program where recipients will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
YYAS 2022 will be held from 20th July to 26th July 2022. And during this period, qualified students would be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
In this article, we shall look at how to apply for the Yale Young African Scholars Programme, the eligibility criteria and application requirements.
|Level of Study||N/A|
|Country||United States of America|
|Deadline||3rd February 2022, 11:59PM EST|
|Eligible Countries||All African Countries|
|Required Language||English Language|
Yale Young African Scholars Programme 2022 would be held virtually. Recipients will make use of various online platforms to partake in the programme. This includes Zoom, to engage in video seminars, lectures, and conversations. All the necessary program information would be communicated directly to qualified participants.
Eligibility Criteria for Yale Young African Scholars Programme
There are some requirements that all applicants must follow when apply for the YYAS. The following must be fulfilled by all interested participants:
- Age: Applicants must be at least 14 years of age by application deadline (03 February 2022, 11:59 EST) in order to be considered. Please kindly note that by average, a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- Language Requirement: All academic curriculum will be conducted in English Language. Therefore, you must have absolute command over the language.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or a permanent resident of an African country. Note also that YYAS will accept applicants who are refugees living in African countries.
- School Location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent)
- Graduation date: Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2023. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2023.
Please note that if you are currently in your final year or term in secondary schools, have already completed secondary school, or are a university, then you are not ELIGIBLE to apply for the YYAS.
Questions? Please email YYAS at [email protected].
Please, before we look at how to apply for the Yale Young African Scholars, let us look at some application requirements:
The following list describes the typical YYAS requirements, although the most up-to-date and accurate information is always in the application.
The following three (3) components are required of all applicants:
- Completed application form – The application can be found online and must be filled out by the applicant. Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
- Official transcript or grade report(s) – A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school. National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but are not required. If a student has changed secondary schools at any point, they must include records both from their previous AND their current school. Please refrain from uploading certificates or transcripts from primary school.
- One (1) teacher recommendation – The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form that will be sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details. An email will be sent with a link to the Form and instructions on how to fill it out. The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well. Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
YYAS reviews all applications holistically, and there are no minimum grade or standardized exam score requirements. However, a high level of English proficiency will be expected.
How to Apply for YYAS
|Step 1||Review the YYAS eligibility criteria as stated above and make sure you meet all the requirements.|
|Step 2||Review the YYAS application required components as stated earlier.|
|Step 3||Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.|
|Step 4||You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.|
Complete the Application:
|Step 5||Click APPLY NOW to start your YYAS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time. The deadline to complete and submit the application is 03 February 2022 @ 11:59pm EST.|
|Step 6||Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and re-visit any pages that require further information.|
|Step 7||Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.|
|Step 8||Check your inbox for a YYAS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays payment processing.|
For more information on the Yale Young African Scholars programme, kindly visit their official website:
What is Yale Young African Scholars Program?
Yale Young African Scholars Program is an academic program designed for African secondary school students who are planning to pursue tertiary education. These students are given mentors who guide them on how to select their university courses, their career paths, among other things. They also enjoy the benefit of meeting other promising students from other countries. This network goes a long way to place the participants on a path of acamedic success.